Dr. Peter Penico’s Story

A trip to the movies nearly derailed Dr. Penico’s career. The film’s volume was unbearable, and two weeks later, the tinnitus set in, leaving Dr. Penico with a career-altering decision. It was either use the Sanctuary™ or think about quitting his job.

It was either the Sanctuary™… or think about quitting my job.
As an emergency room physician, Peter Penico, M.D., of Bradenton, FL, manages stress on a daily basis. From critical injuries to infections, he is on the run during his shift – quickly and professionally treating patients, handling paperwork and enduring many levels of noise coming from all sides, whether from a patient in pain or ambulance sirens. However, in the summer of 2013 after attending an IMAX movie, his career was in jeopardy.

“The movie’s volume was very high – almost painful,” said Penico. “It was a week or two after I saw the movie that the tinnitus set in,” he explained. “I became more and more distressed. At one point, I didn’t even know if I could continue working.”

He pursued several medical avenues, including appointments with a few otolaryngologists (ear, nose and throat physicians, commonly referred to as ENTs). Each of the ENTs saw Dr. Penico for only about 10 minutes, offering him little hope other than hearing aids or, from one, a Prednisone prescription. Finally, one physician suggested that Penico visit an audiologist. After some online research of his own, Penico found Patricia Harrington, Au.D., in Largo, FL, and had his first appointment with the audiologist in August.

“She equipped me with the Neuromonics Sanctuary immediately,” said Penico. “Within a few weeks, I saw some good results. The improvements have continued. They have been gradual, but when I look at my initial TRQ and my most recent one, I have really improved.”

The TRQ is the Tinnitus Reaction Questionnaire, a self-report questionnaire that evaluates tinnitus distress. Over the first five months that Penico has used his Sanctuary, his TRQ dropped from an initial high of 48 to a score of 4 – a huge drop for such a short period of time.

Initially, Penico was wearing his Sanctuary for four or more hours a day. After a few months, he was able to drop back to wearing it about two hours per day. Now, he needs it less and less often. “My tinnitus is still there, but there are long periods of the day where I don’t notice it all,” stated Penico. “It no longer affects my ability to function at home or work. I’m doing much, much better – better than I ever expected.”